St. John’s Seminary Rakwaro started, as a Mission school for catechism and elementary education in 1949. By then Rakwaro was an outstation of Asumbi Parish. Before that, Christians used to walk to Asumbi Parish for Holy Mass. They would congregate at Cassianus Ochieng, the leader of Christians for a night before walking to Asumbi. It was this time that Cassianus request the Priest at Asumbi to start an outstation at Rakwaro. A church was started in 1948 and a year later a school. The founding teachers were Leokadia Lango, Alexander Owaga and Dalmus Omunga. Catechism class had two teachers, Cassianus Ochieng’ and Venantius Wao. Anjelina Wao later joined them. The first converts were Chrisantus Nyanjanga, Nicholas Outa, Elisabeth Oyata and Lucia Abuya. The church and the school were grass thatched and situated adjacent to where the cemetery is, and extending towards the gate. Father Wolf would come from Asumbi on Saturday; spend a night at Chrisantus Nyanjanga’s house before saying the mass the following day. He was nicknamed Agola wuod Ulaya meaning that Agola from Europe redeems people from sin.

In 1954, a house was built on the Western end of the compound and Father Wolf became a resident. Ignatius Okeyo was his personal cook and house boy. The idea of starting a Seminary was mooted and approved. The only hitch was getting a piece of land. A meeting was called and the Christians were asked to voluntarily give out land. After some negotiations with the local people among them Ignatius Okeyo, Cassianus Ochieng’, Chrisantus Nyanjanga, Nguju, Toto, Wao and Ojuok, Ignatius Okeyo and Cassianus Ochieng donated land. That is why part of the Seminary is in Kanyajuok while the other part is in Kanyamamba. In 1956 Fr. C.C.B Wolf was appointed by His Lordship Bishop Fredrick Hall to start the Seminary at Rakwaro. Fr. Wolf was one of the Mill Hill Fathers who worked in Africa for about ten years.

Early that year a group of twenty – two boys and one teacher left Misikhu Mission in the Elgon Nyanza to become the pioneer pupils. They traveled by road to Kisumu and went to Kibuye Mission where they spent the night. They were joined by ten boys. At 4.O’clock the following day Rev. Father Buers arrived in Kisumu with the tall man who was introduced as Cassinus Ochieng’. He was the head of the Christians who had been sent by the Rector to receive them. From Kisumu they moved by boat up to Homa-bay where they boarded a lorry up to Rakwaro. The arrival of the thirty – two boys and their teacher Mr. Cosmas Makhanu was received with great joy by the local community. They were joined by ten more boys who brought the number to forty – two. Among those from the local community were Andrew Odira Otede, Augustine Orwa, and Everest Nduli. These pupils plus two Priests and four African teachers laid the ground for the growth and development of the present day Seminary. It was the SOWING OF THE MUSTARD SEED. The seed to ARISE AND EVANGELISE. The seed to fight unholy alliance of ignorance, poverty and disease.

The St. John's Seminary Experience

Admission to the Seminary

Admission to the Seminary

Aspiring to join St. John's Seminary Rakwaro? Here is what you need to know, the requirements by the individual and from your Parish.

Academics at the Seminary

Academics at the Seminary

The lifestyle of St. John's Seminary Rakwaro is different from your ordinary high school. Get insights into the student life, academis and extracurricular activities.